309 West Market Street, Room 110
Jonesboro, Illinois 62952
Fax: 618-(618) 551‑8650
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Duties & Responsibilities
The County Administrator supervises the day to day operations of the County Government and reports to the County Board of Commissioners. The Administrator directs the budget development, monitors and advises the County Board of Commissioners in the responsibilities related to finances, purchasing, personnel, collective bargaining, information services, building operation & maintenance and provides other general information.
The Administrator oversees implementation of the County’s policies, rules, and regulations as established by the Board of Commissioners and recommends improvements and adjustments as needed. The Administrator analyzes and evaluates the effectiveness of County operations and services, briefs the board on pertinent issues and ensures the board’s decisions are enacted.
The Administrator attends and participates in County Board meetings and numerous other committee meetings, advising and providing necessary information.
Some of the primary responsibilities of the County Administrator include:
- Manages and directs Board priorities and initiatives
- Analyzes financial information and prepares annual budgets for 73 funds
- Monitors and approves department expenses to ensure elected officials/department heads stay within annual budget allocations
- Prepares annual tax levy and property tax abatement resolutions
- Ensures all disclosures required to be filed with the Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board are compiled
- Assist auditors with annual audits including addressing and correcting findings
- Assists with establishing policies and procedures and works with elected officials and department heads to ensure compliance with existing laws, regulations, directives, standards department rules and policies
- Plans, organizes and directs capital improvement programs and analyzes needs for future purchases
- Oversees the bidding process on purchases and makes recommendations
- Confers with County elected and appointed officials to discuss, identify and assess their organizational, management, administrative, budget, and financial problems and solutions as needed
- Prepares bi-monthly board packets including drafting resolutions, ordinances and agreements and provides support and recommendations to the Board during board meetings
- Coordinates and assists with labor negotiations for 4 bargaining units
The Union County Board of Commissioners, with the assistance of the County Administrator, strives to provide the best possible, most fiscally responsible services to Union County residents and taxpayers.