Code of Ordinances
Of Union County, Illinois.
14-1-9 Public Health
(A) Public health standards must be met for all floodplain development. In addition to the requirements of Sections 14-1-6 and 14-1-7, the following standards apply:
- No development in the floodplain shall include locating or storing chemicals, explosives, buoyant materials, flammable liquids, pollutants, or other hazardous or toxic materials below the flood protection elevation unless such materials are stored in a floodproofed and anchored storage tank and certified by a professional engineer or floodproofed building constructed according to the requirements of Section 14-1-7 of this Code.
- Public utilities and facilities such as sewer, gas and electric shall be located and constructed to minimize or eliminate flood damage.
- Public sanitary sewer systems and water supply systems shall be located and constructed to minimize or eliminate infiltration of flood waters into the systems and discharges from the systems into flood waters.
- New and replacement on-site sanitary sewer lines or waste disposal systems shall be located and constructed to avoid impairment to them or contamination from them during
flooding. Manholes or other above ground openings located below the flood protection elevation shall be watertight.
- Construction of new or substantially improved critical facilities shall be located outside the limits of the floodplain. Construction of new critical facilities shall be permissible within the floodplain if no feasible alternative site is available. Critical facilities constructed within the SFHA shall have the lowest floor (including basement) elevated or structurally dry floodproofed to the 500-year flood frequency elevation or three (3) feet above the level of the 100-year flood frequency elevation whichever is greater. Floodproofing and sealing measures must be taken to ensure that toxic substances will not be displaced by or released into floodwaters. Access routes elevated to or above the level of the base flood elevation shall be provided to all critical facilities.
(B) All other activities defined as development shall be designed so as not to alter flood flows or increase potential flood damages.
Retrieved from: www.unioncountyil.gov