Code of Ordinances
Of Union County, Illinois.
22-1-1 Compliance with Federal Law
The County is committed to comply with the Federal Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003, as well as provide customers, particularly customers with utility accounts, the maximum identity theft protection possible. Situations that lead to identity theft would hurt and inconvenience the County’s customers, while at the same time damage the County’s reputation and place the County at risk for losses. The County developed this Identity Theft Prevention Policy with the oversight and approval of the County Commissioners after considering the size and complexity of the County’s operations and account systems and the nature and scope of the County’s activities.
(A) Examples of Identity Theft.
- An identity thief uses another person’s social security number to open a utility account.
- An identity thief uses a victim’s information to obtain unauthorized services from the County.
- An identity thief opens a utility account using a victim’s name and good credit.
- An identity thief files for bankruptcy using a victim’s name.
- An identity thief gives a victim’s name as his/her own when arrested by police.
Retrieved from: www.unioncountyil.gov